LUNCH LADY BESTIES //
Beci Orpin’s Lentil Soup
10 August 2016
Hey Lunch Ladies! We have a brand spanking new weekly feature on our webby for you all. Each week we’ll meet a fellow lunch lady / fella and see what they’ve been up to lately. They’ll also share their go-to recipe, which will hopefully inspire us all to branch out from our own go-tos. I know I am, and the rest of the house, is getting a little tired of leftovers in fried rice.
Who better to kick off the first one than Beci Orpin, one of our besties. She’s a super talented chick, who’s an all-round freaking superstar.
LAST TIME YOUR HOUSE WAS CLEAN
After my cleaners came. Sounds fancy but it’s not really – they come once a month and it’s one the great joys of my adult life.
LAST TIME YOU SLEPT THROUGH THE NIGHT
Two Thursdays ago. I was in Gippsland for work and literally collapsed from exhaustion around 12 and didn’t wake until 7.30. A miracle for me.
LAST TIME YOU WENT ON HOLIDAY
I was in Byron for Splendour in the Grass – more work than holiday, but it was 27˚C and I did get to escape for some beach strolls / swims. My kids came too.
LAST TIME YOU CRIED
When I was watching Stranger Things last night and they autopsied the kid – he is around Tyke’s age so it was a little much for me (SPOILER : it was a fake body full of cotton wool – I stopped crying then).
LAST TIME YOU IRONED
Probably a few weeks ago – a long skirt which I put it on and decided I couldn’t leave the house in. So I ironed it – but didn’t actually take the skirt off to do that. BTW I love ironing, but rarely have the time.
LAST MUM WIN
When Ari cleaned his room last weekend and continued to do that for the next few mornings without being asked.
LAST MUM FAIL
This morning. No good food for lunch. Jam sandwiches again. Ari may have eaten pizza for breakfast AND lunch AND dinner the day before (he was stoked BTW).
LAST TEXT YOU GOT
From my Mum confirming she can look after the kids while Raph & I go on a MIFF date Sunday night.
LAST TEXT YOU SENT
A picture of myself to my friend Esther – I was wearing two big hoop earrings in one ear and wondered if it was too OTT (she said no).
LAST MEAL YOU ATE
Muesli and a mandarin for breakfast.
YOUR NO-FAIL-GO-TO RECIPE
Lentil Soup – I can make this soup blind-folded. It’s quick, easy, nourishing and everyone in our house loves it.
- 25g / .8pz butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 thumb-sized piece of ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tsp each ground cumin, coriander and turmeric
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 cup red lentils
- 1/2 cup brown rice (optional – we add if people are extra hungry)
- 1 tin tomatoes
- 1.5L / 2.6pt stock (veg or chicken)
- 1/2 bunch parsley, chopped
- salt and pepper
- Using a heavy based large pot, heat butter until it melts.
- Add onion, garlic and ginger and cook on low heat for 10 mins, until soft.
- Add spices and cook for another 1 min, then add carrots, and cook for a further 5 mins(ish).
- Add lentils, tomatoes, rice and stock. Leave to simmer until lentils / rice are cooked through. Add extra stock / water if the soup becomes too thick.
- To finish, stir through chopped parsley and season to taste. Serve with yoghurt and extra parsley (coriander is also a nice addition). If your feeling fancy – this soup also goes perfectly with pickled beetroot and cheese toasties.