What’s the best bit of parenting advice they’ve ever received?
[ ERIN FRANCZYK ]
MUM TO HANNAH (23), EMME (14) + SARAH (12)
“The best came from my 97-year-old grandmother. I was telling her about how tired I found myself and how I longed for some escape from my girls every now and then. Grandma said, “Try to remember they grow up and some day you’ll miss their energy and even the frustrations! You’ll wish you could go back in time and visit with those little ones again. When they’re grown you’ll look forward to their visits but they’ll have their own families and busy schedules”. My girls are now 12, 14 and 23 and I already wish I could travel back in time and do crafts with them or hear their tiny voices again. Whenever I find myself frustrated (which at their present ages is often) I recall this advice and it does put perspective on life, love and time.” //
BLACK BEAN SOUP
[ By Erin, GOODBYN ]
This is my husband’s recipe; he’s a fantastic cook. I love the heat of this quick and healthy meal in the cold months. It’s also fantastic reheated!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 500g / 1lb chicken andouille sausage, chopped into 1/2″ cubes
- 1 red onion, finely diced
- 2–6 cloves garlic, depending on your taste
- 1–2 tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp chilli powder
- 1 jalapeño, super-finely diced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 4 tins of black beans, rinsed
- 3–4 cups chicken broth
- 1 can refried black beans
- 2 red, yellow or green capsicums, cored, seeded and diced
- coriander, to garnish
- 2–3 limes
- Cotija cheese
- In a Dutch oven, heat olive oil and brown the chicken sausage over high heat. Take out and set aside.
- Add onion and deglaze pot, scraping up any brown bits (if a little dry, add some olive oil).
- Once onion is translucent, add garlic and spices and cook for 1 minute over medium heat.
- Add black beans and broth, and then add refried beans.
- Pop in the capsicums and mix until broth is nice and thick.
- Bring to a boil, put the chicken back in and simmer over low heat for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Squeeze in the juice from a whole lime. Stir.
- Garnish with fresh coriander, lime wedges and crumbled Cotija cheese. //