A recipe by Eat This My Friend
This recipe is super flexible. You can make one with whatever summery berries you have in the kitchen. You can also swap the slivered almonds for any nut you have in the pantry – pistachios are a winner. Serve it hot, straight from the oven, but room temperature is best. Leftovers, cold, straight from the baking tin brighten sleepy mornings.
What You Need
- 3 punnets strawberries, hulled and cut in half if they’re large
- 150g / 5.3oz plain flour
- 100g / 3.5oz cold butter, cut into cubes
- 50g / 1.7oz sugar
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- double cream, to serve
What You Need to Do
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F / 180˚C / Gas Mark 4.
- Place the prepared strawberries into a small square cake tin (approx. 18 X 18cm).
- Make the crumble topping by placing the flour, sugar and butter into a mixing bowl. Rub the mixture together with your fingertips until it resembles coarse wet sand. Scatter the crumble mixture over the top of the strawberries and smooth it out roughly with your fingers so it covers the strawberries.
- Sprinkle over the slivered almonds and place in the oven to bake for about 40 minutes, or until crumble top is golden.
- Remove from oven and serve with a big dollop of double cream.