Makes 6 patties
- 3 cups pumpkin, grated
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup buckwheat flour (or flour of your choice)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp sweet paprika
- 100g / 3.5oz feta, crumbled
- In a large bowl, using your hands, squish together the grated pumpkin, egg, flour, salt and paprika until well combined and sticky.
- Crumble in the feta and squish together to mix through.
- Form the mixture into 6 patties, and either pan fry in olive oil for 3 minutes on each side until golden, or place on a lined baking tray and bake in the oven at 200°C / 400°F / Gas Mark 6 for 15 minutes.
- Patties can also be frozen once cooked. To reheat, just wrap in baking paper and then foil, and pop in the oven at 180°C / 350°F / Gas Mark 4 for 20–30 minutes until hot and golden.
- 80g / 2.8oz pine nuts or almonds, toasted
- 80g / 2.8oz mint leaves (around 2 cups, tightly packed)
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tsp salt
- 80ml / 2.7 fl oz olive oil
- Wash and dry the mint leaves thoroughly.
- In a food processor, whiz together the nuts, mint, lemon zest and juice, and salt until chunky. While the processor is still running, drizzle in the olive oil. Process until the oil is well combined and you’ve got a pesto consistency.
- Pesto can be made in advance and stored in a glass jar in the fridge for 2–3 days, or frozen in an airtight container for up to 2 months.
Crispy baked onions
- 3 red onions, thinly sliced into 3mm rings
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- good pinch of salt
- Preheat your oven to 200°C / 400°F / Gas Mark 6.
- Drizzle a baking tray with half the olive oil, scatter on the onion rings, sprinkle with salt and drizzle with the remaining oil.
- Bake for 20–25 minutes, or until crispy and dark golden.
- 1 bread roll
- 1 pumpkin and feta patty
- 1–2 lettuce leaves
- 2–3 slices tomato
- 1 tbsp mint pesto
- 1/3 cup crispy baked onions
- Cut your bread roll in half.
- On the bottom half of the roll, place the lettuce, and then the tomato slices, and the pumpkin and feta patty.
- Top the patty with a spoonful of pesto and some crispy baked onions.
- Pop the roll lid on top, and eat.
// For more delicious recipes, collect the Lunch Lady Magazine series from our shop