These awesome little treat cakes hide the goodness of beetroot. Good for lunchboxes, parties of morning tea.
For the cake:
- 60g / 2oz dark chocolate, chopped
- 90g / 3oz unsalted butter
- 120g / 4oz muscovado sugar
- 2 eggs
- 160ml / 5.5 fl oz sour cream
- 70g / 2.5oz self-raising flour
- 1 1/2 tbsp raw cocoa
- 100g / 3.5oz cooked beetroot, grated
For the icing:
- 50g / 1.75oz unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp sifted icing sugar
- 250g / 8.75oz crème fraîche
- 3 tbsp beetroot juice, saved from cooking beetroot
- Preheat oven to 180˚C / 350˚F / Gas Mark 4.
- Grease and flour your mini loaf tin.
- Melt the chocolate in a bowl over a saucepan of simmering water.
- With an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar together until well combined.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each.
- Add the sour cream and cooled melted chocolate, and mix well.
- Fold in the flour and cocoa and then the grated beetroot, until combined.
- Spoon the mixture into your mini loaf tin.
- Bake for 15–20 minutes.
- Cool completely on wire rack before icing.
- For the icing, beat the butter until it becomes light and fluffy.
- Slowly add the icing sugar. Once combined, drop in your beetroot juice and then, with a spoon, gently mix in the crème fraîche. Be careful not to over-beat.